Wisconsin 4 Wheel Drive Association
10-17-2015 Fall Meeting
- Meeting called to order at: 9:24 a.m.
Reading of Mission Statement.
- Roll Call 27 people present.
Officers/Board members present.
President-Sam Vandenberg, Region A V.P.-Arnold Miller, Region C V.P.-Helen Wagner, Region C Assistant V.P.-Jesse Thompson, State Director-Luana Schneider.
Borderline 4×4 Trail Seekers – Loan Riders 4×4 – 4 Lakes 4 Wheelers – Road Side 4 wheelers – 4×4 Forever Ltd. – Green Bay High Riders Ltd. – Trail Gators 4 Wheeler Inc.
III. Secretary’s report – accepted as printed.
- Treasury report – Mary not present – Report accepted as printed.
- No Guests
- Pipe line – does not open until June 1. No clean-up efforts this year – not much left to wheel on – just mud holes left now
- Jesse registered the w4wda.com domain name – it is being forwarded to the w4wda.org site – the association voted to reimburse Jess for the 3 year registration of $155
Discussed e-mails to the membership for spreading the word about the meetings and conventions
Noted that not everyone had e-mail access and that a text notification may help
- Bylaws/SOP – nothing.
- S.C.O.R.P. – Grants may have been elliminated.
- State Trails Council – minutes are posted on the website – noted that 2 key people on the committee that we’ve worked with have recently retired – these folks were up to speed on our 4 wheel drive needs – we’ll need to rebuild this relationship and educate the now members when they come onboard – no ETA on replacements – budget constraints may be a factor in this – mentioned the DNR needs to setup a road inventory – this is both paved and 2 track primitive roads – some discussion was had on the width of trails – this may eliminate our ability to be allowed on some of the trails due to vehicle size – all of these roads need to go through a master plan to identify the trail and accessibility for each trail –
Noted that there has been a lot of push back on the Sauk Prairie recreation area for anything motorized – this has even gotten to the point where a local rocketry club is being shot down… to use the area for rocket launching a few times a year.
Some discussions was had around leaving a foot print on the trails that we ride on – we need to be able to fund our sport and bringing in revenue to help repair and maintain trails –
Discussed that we may need to consider on “focus points” – No one person can do this alone – The group needs to support efforts and pitch in – if we just talk about stuff – nothing will really get done – There was a lot of “passion” bubbling up around working towards getting/keeping trails open
I will say that there was a lot of valid points made – not everyone wanted to hear these comments and observations – then again – this is not the first time these points have been made – nobody is grabbing the torch and running with it – this is the
Helen made a request that we come up with 5 focus points for the January meeting – we can review this ideas and pick 3 and run with them.
Luana would like to see that no more trails are closed on forest land – while this is not entirely possible – if we peruse this goal we can retain some % of open trails – Also – we need to take advantage of funds like RTP and find ways to use this to better the sport.
- United Four Wheel Drive Association – Nothing.
- MW4WDA – nothing.
- WOHVA – they have secured 3 more years of events at Mole lake – so there will be at least 2 events a year on the property – the jamboree and GNTR – This year’s GNTR had a good turn out – noted that Jon is working towards getting more trails open on the property – this would allow for spreading out the trucks and keeping the trails in better condition – this could then allow for more events on the property.
Looking at moving towards a more focused goal between the WOHVA and W4WDA. We hope to be able to join up with them for convention at some point – hopefully next year we can make this happen.
- Helen will be sending out a membership packet to Title Town Jeepers – they may be looking to join WI
- Lake States resource alliance has disbanded – funds were dispersed out to several different groups – W4WDA was not a recipient (Tax status has a play on that)
- Sauk Praire Recreation Area – Noted that there has been a lot of push back on the Sauk Prairie recreation area for anything motorized – this has even gotten to the point where a local rocketry club is being shot down… to use the area for rocket launching a few times a year.
- MRA – Luana reviewed what the MRA is responsible for – no new news on from the MRA
- Jesse and Joel will look into a Rally for 4 wheel to heal for Wisconsin – will need to head up the committee again to move this forward.
A proposal was made have an event or a convention at the Farm in Red Wing MN $40 a vehicle is the minim and we need to have 15 trucks – we would need to charge more to cover the additional insurance that the W4WDA would be responsible for if we decide to take in money for the association or a charity – would like to get a more formal proposal for January.
- WORVPI – nothing.
- AB369(Sticker/decal program) – Needs to be re-introduced.
VII. Region Vice President Reports
- Arnold Miller – Toys for Tots October 24 at Frontenac Farms, $25/truck + toy.
- Orlin Clark – Orlin and Ginny are celebrating their 50th anniversary.
- Helen Wagner – 4×4 Forever had a fund raiser for Old Glory Honor Flights, and volunteered at last Quarry Quest Charity event.
- Old Business
- Winter meeting will be at Hidden Waters Golf Course, E4480 State Road 22-54 Waupaca, WI 54983 on January 9, 2016. Board meeting at 8:45am, membership meeting at 9:00am. There will be a Pot Luck Lunch, W4WDA will provide sloppy joe and everyone else is asked to bring a dish. (Anyone remember who was going to handle the sloppy joe?). Arnold and Bev donated speakers and we will be setting up conference calling or skype for the meeting.
- Spring Convention – Spring Convention is being hosted by 4×4 Forever Ltd. and will be at the Ramada Grand Seasons Hotel in Waupaca, WI(110 Grand Seasons Dr, Waupaca, WI 54981. 1-715-258-9212)Room rates are $89.99/night use code MW4WDA when reserving rooms. on April 15-17, 2016. More info has been sent out and more will be.
- Trail Specifications requested by DNR – had seperate group meeting to discuss this.
- Houston Park is still moving forward – all land/property studies are completed and the town is all on-board. There is a new private park in MN that recently opened – that same group is planning on opening another private park near Houston http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/difficulty.html
- Conference Calling/Skype – Arny and Bev Miller donated speakers to use for this. Will be tried at Winter meeting.
- New Business
- Any ideas where to host 4-wheel-to-heal or another event, Let Jesse Thompson know.